The easiest way to get cheaper car insurance rates is to start doing a yearly price comparison from insurers in Colorado Springs.
Step 1: Get a basic knowledge of individual coverages and the measures you can take to keep rates in check. Many factors that increase rates like your driving record and poor credit rating can be rectified by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
Step 2: Quote rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can only quote rates from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices from multiple sources.
Step 3: Compare the price quotes to the price on your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find better rates and change companies, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
Step 4: Provide notification to your current company of your intention to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit payment and a signed application to your new carrier. When you receive it, store the certificate of insurance along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
An important note is that you use the same coverage limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to get rates from every insurance company. This provides a fair rate comparison and many rates to choose from.
Inconceivable but true, the majority of drivers kept their policy with the same company for at least four years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never compared rates to find cheaper insurance. Colorado consumers could save approximately 35% each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don’t invest the time required to do a rate comparison.
If you have auto insurance now, you will surely be able to save money using these tips. Locating the most cost-effective auto insurance policy in Colorado Springs is quite easy. Although Colorado drivers do need to understand how insurance companies calculate your auto insurance rates and apply this information to your search.
Keep in mind that comparing a wide range of rates will improve the odds of getting a better price.
The providers in the list below can provide free quotes in Colorado. To buy the best auto insurance in Colorado, it’s a good idea that you get prices from several of them to get the cheapest price.
Slash rates with these discounts on Mitsubishi i-MiEV insurance in Colorado Springs
Car insurance companies don’t always publicize the entire discount list very clearly, so we break down some of the best known in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts you could be receiving when you buy Colorado Springs auto insurance online.
- Pay Upfront and Save – By paying your entire bill at once instead of making monthly payments you could save up to 5%.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Just owning your own home may earn you a small savings due to the fact that maintaining a home shows financial diligence.
- Driver Education Discount – Cut your cost by having your teen driver complete a driver education course if offered at their school.
- Anti-theft System – Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have factory anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Savings for New Vehicles – Adding a new car to your policy can get you a discount since newer vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Accident Waiver – Not a discount per se, but certain companies will allow you to have one accident without the usual rate increase if you have no claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Onboard Data Collection – Drivers who elect to allow driving data submission to spy on vehicle usage by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Progressive’s Snapshot and State Farm’s In-Drive could possibly reduce rates as long as they are good drivers.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles with factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may qualify for discounts as much as 30%.
- Senior Citizen Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you may receive a small decrease in premiums.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Even though it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it just doesn’t work that way.
A few companies that may offer these benefits include:
Before purchasing a policy, check with all the companies what discounts are available to you. Some discounts listed above might not be offered on policies in Colorado Springs.
You may require the services of an insurance agency
Certain consumers would rather visit with an insurance agent and doing so can bring peace of mind A nice benefit of comparing rates online is you may find lower rates and still choose a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, your information gets sent to local insurance agents that provide free Colorado Springs auto insurance quotes for your coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to even leave your home since price quotes are sent to you directly. You can get cheaper auto insurance rates without requiring a lot of work. If you need to compare rates from a specific auto insurance provider, feel free to visit that company’s website and complete a quote there.
Selecting an insurance company shouldn’t rely on just the quoted price. Any agent in Colorado Springs should have no problem answering these questions:
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in Colorado Springs?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
When narrowing the list to find a reliable insurance agent, you must know there are a couple types of agencies and how they operate. Colorado Springs agents can be categorized as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
These type of agents normally can only provide a single company’s rates and examples are Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. These agents are unable to provide other company’s prices so always compare other rates. Exclusive insurance agents receive extensive training on the products they sell which can be an advantage.
The following are Colorado Springs exclusive insurance agents that can give you price quote information.
American Family Insurance – Michael Janzen Agency Inc.
1045 W Garden of the Gods Rd Ste M – Colorado Springs, CO 80907 – (719) 528-6387 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agents can quote rates with many companies so they can quote policies with a variety of different insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they simply move your policy to a different company and you won’t have to switch agencies. When comparing rates, you will definitely want to check rates from several independent insurance agents to get the most accurate price comparison.
Shown below is a list of independent agencies in Colorado Springs who can help you get rate quotes.
Will just any policy work for me?
When choosing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there isn’t really a best way to insure your cars. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
These are some specific questions can aid in determining if you may require specific advice.
- What are the liability requirements in my state?
- I have health insurance so do I need medical payments coverage?
- Does my Mitsubishi i-MiEV qualify for pleasure use?
- Can I use my car for my catering business?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in Colorado?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, you might consider talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form.
Educated Choices Result in Lower Insurance Premiums
Multiple criteria are taken into consideration when quoting car insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving history, although others are more obscure like your continuous coverage or your vehicle rating. Smart consumers have a good feel for a few of the rating criteria that help calculate the level of your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what influences your rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to lower rates.
Auto insurance claims cost money – Car insurance companies in Colorado award the lowest premiums to insureds who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you’re an insured who likes to file claims you can definitely plan on much higher rates or policy non-renewal. Insurance coverage is designed for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
Low stress occupation equals lower rates – Did you know your auto insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Occupations like lawyers, business owners, and accountants tend to have the highest rates attributed to high stress and lots of time spent at work. Other careers such as professors, athletes and retirees get better rates.
Insurance rates and vehicle performance – The performance level of the car you are buying insurance for makes a big difference in how high your rates are. The lowest premiums are for the lowest performance passenger vehicles, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
Youthful drivers are expensive to insure – Older people are proven to be safer behind the wheel, are lower risk to insure, and get fewer tickets. Youthful drivers tend to be careless and easily distracted when driving with friends so they pay higher auto insurance rates.
Big city or small town – Having an address in a small town has definite advantages when shopping for auto insurance. Less people translates into fewer accidents. Drivers who live in large Colorado cities tend to have more aggressive driving styles and longer commute times. Higher commute times translates into higher accident risk.
More than one policy can earn a discount – Most auto insurance companies will give discounts to insureds that purchase more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. The discount can add up to as much as ten percent or more Even though this discount sounds good, it’s always a smart idea to check prices from other companies to verify if the discount is saving money.
How much liability protection – Liability insurance will protect you in the event that you are found liable for personal injury or accident damage. Liability insurance provides for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to other policy coverages, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
Car insurance protects more than just your car
Despite the high insurance cost for a Mitsubishi i-MiEV in Colorado Springs, insurance is mandatory in Colorado but it also protects more than you think.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires specific limits of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, almost all lenders will require that you have full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may insure your Mitsubishi at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay the higher price.
- Insurance safeguards not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It will also provide coverage for medical transport and hospital expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of buying enough insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially with large liability claims. Unknowingly, the average driver is overpaying more than $820 a year so it’s important to compare rates at least once a year to make sure the price is not too high.
When buying insurance coverage, make sure you don’t skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are too many instances where someone sacrificed physical damage coverage only to regret at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. Your objective should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
We’ve covered many ideas to compare Mitsubishi i-MiEV insurance rates in Colorado Springs. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get car insurance rates for, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest rates are with an unexpected company.
Drivers change insurance companies for any number of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, denial of a claim or poor customer service. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding a new company can be pretty painless.
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in Colorado Springs? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Young Drivers in Colorado Springs? (FAQ)
- Understanding your Policy (NAIC.org)
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)