If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to get the cheapest auto insurance rates is to start doing a yearly price comparison from different companies who can sell car insurance in Colorado Springs.
- Step 1: Learn about how your policy works and the measures you can control to prevent high rates. Many things that cause rate increases like traffic citations, accidents, and a not-so-good credit history can be eliminated by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Continue reading for ideas to help prevent expensive coverage and find possible discounts that are available.
- Step 2: Obtain price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from multiple sources.
- Step 3: Compare the price quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a better price and decide to switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Step 4: Provide written notification to your current company to cancel the current policy and submit the application along with any required down payment for the new coverage. Once coverage is bound, put the new certificate verifying proof of insurance in your glove compartment.
One tip to remember is that you'll want to make sure you compare identical coverage information on each price quote and to quote with as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this ensures a fair price comparison and a thorough price selection.
It's safe to conclude that car insurance companies don't want their customers to go rate shopping. Drivers who get price comparisons will, in all likelihood, switch to a new company because of the good chance of finding a lower-cost company. A recent survey found that consumers who routinely compared quotes saved as much as $860 a year compared to drivers who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding the lowest price for auto insurance is your ultimate target, knowing the best ways to find and compare coverage rates can make shopping around easier.
What Affects Dodge Magnum Insurance Prices?
Many factors are considered when quoting car insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious such as traffic violations, although some other factors are not quite as obvious such as your credit history or how financially stable you are.
Men tend to take more risk - Over time, data shows that females tend to be a little less risky than males. That doesn't necessarily mean that men are WORSE drivers than women. Both sexes tend to get into fender benders in similar numbers, but the men cause more damage. Men also statistically receive more major tickets like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving. Youthful male drivers are several times more likely to be in an accident and therefore have the most expensive auto insurance rates.
Lower premiums with uninterrupted coverage - Allowing your auto insurance policy to lapse can be a quick way to drive up your policy premiums. Not only will rates go up, being ticketed for driving with no insurance could earn you fines and jail time.
Frequent insurance claims will cost you more - If you file a lot of claims you can pretty much guarantee higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Insurance companies in Colorado generally give better rates to insureds who only file infrequent claims. Insurance coverage is intended for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
High performance equals high prices - The performance level of the car or truck you are buying insurance for makes a huge difference in your premium level. Smaller low performance passenger cars usually have the lowest premiums, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
Rates can drop if you have more than one policy - Most companies will award lower prices to buyers who have multiple policies with them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even if you already get this discount, you still need to shop around to verify if the discount is saving money.
The companies shown below offer free rate quotes in Colorado Springs, CO. If multiple companies are listed, it's a good idea that you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Protect more than your Dodge vehicle
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Colorado Springs, insuring your vehicle is mandatory in Colorado but it also protects more than you think.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability protection in order to drive the car legally. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Dodge has a loan, more than likely the lender will stipulate that you have full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank may insure your Dodge at a much higher rate and force you to pay for it.
- Insurance preserves not only your Dodge but also your financial assets. Insurance will also pay for most medical and hospital costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability insurance also covers legal expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If your Dodge gets damaged, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially when you need to use it. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver overpays as much as $750 every year so it's important to compare rates at every policy renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Cheap Colorado Springs auto insurance rates with discounts
Some companies don't necessarily list all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the list below contains a few of the more common and the more hidden ways to save on auto insurance.
- Distant Student - Any of your kids who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Own a Home - Being a homeowner can help you save on auto insurance because owning a home shows financial diligence.
- Auto/Life Discount - If the company offers life insurance, you could get lower prices if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Federal Employees - Federal government employees could qualify for a slight premium decrease with some auto insurance companies.
- Sign Online - Some of the larger companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying your policy on your computer.
- Passenger Safety Discount - Vehicles with factory air bags or automatic seat belts may qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Responsible Drivers - Insureds without accidents could pay up to 40% less than drivers with accident claims.
While discounts sound great, it's important to understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So even though they make it sound like all those discounts means the company will pay you, nobody gets a free ride.
Some of the larger companies that may offer policyholders these discounts may include but are not limited to:
When quoting, ask every insurance company what discounts are available to you. Some credits may not be offered in your state. If you would like to choose from a list of auto insurance companies with significant discounts in Colorado Springs, click this link.
Insurance agents near you
A small number of people just prefer to talk to a local agent and that can be a great decision Good insurance agents can answer important questions and help submit paperwork. A nice benefit of getting free rate quotes online is that you can obtain the best rates and still have an agent to talk to.
After filling out this quick form, your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to companies in Colorado Springs who will give you bids for your insurance coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to search for an agent as quotes are delivered to you. If you want to compare prices from a specific insurance company, you would need to navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing an insurance company should include more criteria than just a low price. Any good agent in Colorado Springs should know the answers to these questions.
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Will they give you a referral list?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
If you are wanting to find a reliable agent, you need to know there are two different types of agencies and how they can quote your rates. Car insurance policy providers may be either independent or exclusive. Either can insure your vehicles, but it's good to learn why they differ because it can influence which agent you choose.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive generally can only insure with one company such as Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. They generally cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. They receive a lot of sales training in insurance sales which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
The following is a list of exclusive agents in Colorado Springs that are able to give rate quotes.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agents can sell policies from many different companies so they can write business with any number of different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If your premiums go up, your agent can just switch to a different company and you won't have to switch agencies. When searching for an agent, we recommend you get rate quotes from at least one independent agent to get the most accurate price comparison.
Below is a short list of independent agencies in Colorado Springs who can help you get price quote information.
Colorado car insurance companies ranked
Buying coverage from the top insurance provider is hard considering how many different companies there are to choose from in Colorado. The company rank data shown below may help you choose which car insurance providers to look at when comparing rates.
Top 10 Colorado Springs Car Insurance Companies Overall
- American Family
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- AAA Insurance
- The General
- Titan Insurance
- Mercury Insurance
When to get professional advice
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing coverage, there really is no perfect coverage plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
For example, these questions can aid in determining whether you might need an agent's assistance.
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
- Does insurance cover damages from a DUI accident?
- Is my son or daughter covered when driving my car?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
If you can't answer these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. If you don't have a local agent, take a second and complete this form. It's fast, free and can help protect your family.
In this article, we presented some good ideas how you can save on Dodge Magnum insurance in Colorado Springs. It's most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Drivers may even discover the lowest priced car insurance comes from a smaller regional carrier.
When trying to cut insurance costs, you should never buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many cases where consumers will sacrifice uninsured motorist or liability limits and learned later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your focus should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford and still be able to protect your assets.
Lower-priced car insurance in Colorado Springs can be purchased on the web and also from your neighborhood Colorado Springs agents, so you need to quote Colorado Springs car insurance with both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. A few companies do not offer rates over the internet and most of the time these smaller providers sell through independent insurance agents.
More detailed car insurance information is located in these articles:
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers Over Age 50 in Colorado Springs? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Colorado Springs Car Insurance Quotes for High Mileage Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much is Colorado Springs Car Insurance for Ride Shares? (FAQ)
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)
- Teen Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)