It's easy to assume that auto insurance companies want to keep you from comparing prices. Drivers who shop for lower prices will, in all likelihood, move their business because there is a high probability of finding a lower-priced company. A recent survey revealed that people who routinely compared quotes saved an average of $3,500 over four years as compared to drivers who didn't regularly shop around.
If saving money on insurance is your goal, understanding how to find and compare coverage rates can make it easier to find better rates.
If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to find low-cost prices for Dodge Dakota insurance is to regularly compare prices from providers who can sell car insurance in Colorado Springs. You can compare prices by following these steps.
First, try to learn about how car insurance works and the steps you can take to lower rates. Many factors that cause rate increases such as traffic citations, accidents, and a negative credit score can be amended by paying attention to minor details. Read the full article for additional tips to get cheaper coverage and find available discounts that you may qualify for.
Second, request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can give quotes from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes for many different companies.
Third, compare the new rates to your current policy premium to see if a cheaper price is available in Colorado Springs. If you find a lower rate and change companies, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
One bit of advice is that you'll want to compare the same liability limits and deductibles on each quote and and to get rates from as many different companies as possible. This provides an apples-to-apples comparison and many rates to choose from.
Insurance rates and discounts
Some providers don't list every available discount very clearly, so the list below gives a summary of some of the best known as well as some of the hidden discounts that you may qualify for.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage - This one isn't a discount, but a few companies such as GEICO and Liberty Mutual allow you one accident before they charge you more for coverage if your claims history is clear prior to being involved in the accident.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Forcing all vehicle occupants to use their safety belts can save up to 15% off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- New Car Discount - Insuring a new Dakota can save up to 30% because new vehicles are generally safer.
- Paperless Signup - A few larger companies may give you up to $50 shop Colorado Springs auto insurance digitally online.
- Distant College Student Discount - Children who are attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle can receive lower rates.
A little note about advertised discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though it sounds like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you won't be that lucky.
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Dodge Dakota insurance costs with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The premiums assume a female driver, no accidents or driving violations, Colorado state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, multi-policy, marriage, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-car discounts applied.
Companies and some of the discounts include:
- State Farm may have discounts that include driver's education, accident-free, Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple autos, passive restraint, safe vehicle, and student away at school.
- GEICO includes discounts for good student, anti-lock brakes, membership and employees, federal employee, and seat belt use.
- SAFECO offers discounts including anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, teen safe driver, bundle discounts, multi-car, teen safety rewards, and drive less.
- Farmers Insurance discounts include alternative fuel, switch companies, early shopping, multi-car, mature driver, distant student, and bundle discounts.
- AAA has savings for education and occupation, multi-car, anti-theft, good driver, multi-policy, and good student.
- USAA offers discounts for good student, safe driver, loyalty savings, multi-policy, defensive driver, multi-vehicle, and family discount.
Double check with every insurance company which credits you are entitled to. A few discounts may not be available in every state. If you would like to see a list of providers who offer free Dodge Dakota insurance quotes in Colorado, click here.
The quickest method to get rate comparisons for Dodge Dakota insurance in Colorado Springs utilizes the fact almost all companies actually pay money for the chance to provide you with free rate quotes. To start a quote, the only thing you need to do is give them rating details such as if a SR-22 is needed, if you have a valid license, if you lease or own, and whether you are married. Those rating factors is instantly provided to all major companies and you should receive rate quotes instantly.
If you would like to start a quote now, click here and enter your zip code.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in Colorado. To get the best auto insurance in CO, we suggest you get prices from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Analysis of coverages
The price information below highlights a range of insurance coverage prices for Dodge Dakota models. Having a better understanding of how prices are formulated can be of help when making smart choices when purchasing an auto insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Dakota ST Ext Cab 2WD||$132||$264||$452||$26||$136||$1,010||$84|
|Dakota Bighorn Ext Cab 2WD||$132||$264||$452||$26||$136||$1,010||$84|
|Dakota Lonestar Ext Cab 2WD||$152||$264||$452||$26||$136||$1,030||$86|
|Dakota ST Crew Cab 2WD||$152||$264||$452||$26||$136||$1,030||$86|
|Dakota Bighorn Crew Cab 2WD||$152||$312||$452||$26||$136||$1,078||$90|
|Dakota Lonestar Crew Cab 2WD||$152||$312||$452||$26||$136||$1,078||$90|
|Dakota Bighorn Ext Cab 4WD||$172||$264||$362||$22||$108||$928||$77|
|Dakota ST Ext Cab 4WD||$172||$264||$362||$22||$108||$928||$77|
|Dakota Laramie Crew Cab 2WD||$172||$312||$452||$26||$136||$1,098||$92|
|Dakota ST Crew Cab 4WD||$172||$264||$362||$22||$108||$928||$77|
|Dakota Lonestar Ext Cab 4WD||$172||$264||$362||$22||$108||$928||$77|
|Dakota Bighorn Crew Cab 4WD||$172||$264||$362||$22||$108||$928||$77|
|Dakota TRX Crew Cab 4WD||$172||$312||$362||$22||$108||$976||$81|
|Dakota TRX Crew Cab 4WD||$172||$312||$362||$22||$108||$976||$81|
|Dakota Lonestar Crew Cab 4WD||$172||$312||$362||$22||$108||$976||$81|
|Dakota Laramie Crew Cab 4WD||$192||$312||$362||$22||$108||$996||$83|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Colorado minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Price estimates do not factor in specific garaging location which can decrease or increase price quotes considerably.
Insurance premiums by gender
The information below visualizes the comparison of Dodge Dakota insurance costs for male and female drivers. The prices are based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
How do Car Insurance Companies Determine Dodge Dakota Insurance Premiums?
It's important that you understand some of the elements that come into play when calculating your car insurance rates. If you know what influences your rates, this helps enable you to make changes that can earn you lower premium levels.
- Your location is important - Residing in small towns and rural areas can be a good thing when it comes to car insurance. Drivers who live in large cities have more auto accidents and longer commute times. Lower population means fewer accidents and lower theft and vandalism rates.
Premiums are impacted by vehicle performance - The performance of the car you are buying insurance for makes a huge difference in your car insurance bill. Economy passenger cars receive the most favorable rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
The chart below uses these assumptions: single male driver age 30, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. The data compares Dodge Dakota rates compared to other models of vehicles that have different performance rating factors.
Older drivers save more - Young drivers in Colorado are proven to get distracted easily with other occupants in the car so car insurance rates are higher. Older, more experienced drivers are more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents, and usually have better credit.
The data below assumes a single driver, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
- When should you not file policy claims? - If you file claims often, you can expect higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Auto insurance companies in Colorado give cheaper rates to policyholders who are claim-free. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for more catastrophic claims.
- Excellent credit saves on car insurance - Having a bad credit score is a large factor in determining premium rates. People with very good credit scores tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims as compared to drivers with lower credit ratings. If your credit rating is lower than you'd like, you could be paying less to insure your Dodge Dakota by improving your rating.
Driving citations cost more than a fine - How you drive impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Only having one chargeable violation may cause rates to rise by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who don't get tickets pay lower auto insurance prices than their less careful counterparts. Drivers who get serious violations like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may be required to submit a SR-22 form to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
The diagram below illustrates how violations and accidents increase Dodge Dakota car insurance costs for different ages of insureds. The premiums assume a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
- Defend yourself with liability - The liability section of your policy will afford coverage if ever you are found to be at fault for damages caused by your negligence. Your policy's liability insurance provides legal defense starting from day one. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
- Deter theft and pay less - Choosing to buy a car with a theft deterrent system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all help prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
When to get advice from a local insurance agent
Some consumers would prefer to buy from a local agent and that is a smart decision An additional benefit of comparing rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get cheap rate quotes and still choose a local agent. And supporting neighborhood agents is definitely important in Colorado Springs.
For easy comparison, once you complete this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is emailed to insurance agents in Colorado Springs who can give free rate quotes to get your business. You won't even need to do any legwork since price quotes are sent instantly to you. You can most likely find cheaper rates and work with a local agent. In the event you want to get a price quote from a particular provider, just find their quoting web page and submit a quote form there.
If you need to find a reputable insurance agent or broker, it can be helpful to understand the types of agencies from which to choose. Insurance agencies in Colorado Springs are either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents are not restricted to one company and that gives them the ability to insure through many companies and find you cheaper rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the business is moved internally and the insured can keep the same agent. If you need lower rates, we recommend you compare quotes from multiple independent agents to have the most options to choose from.
Shown below are Colorado Springs independent agents who may be able to give you free insurance rate quotes.
These type of agents can only provide one company's prices like State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. They are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agents are well schooled on their company's products and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Colorado Springs who can help you get comparison quotes.
Picking the best auto insurance agent shouldn't rely on just the quoted price. Any agent in Colorado Springs should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in Colorado Springs?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
Choosing the best Dodge Dakota insurance in Colorado is an important decision
Despite the fact that auto insurance is not cheap in Colorado Springs, insuring your vehicle is required in Colorado but it also protects you in many ways.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means state laws require specific minimum amounts of liability insurance if you want to drive legally. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Dodge has a loan, it's most likely the lender will have a requirement that you buy insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Dodge at a significantly higher premium and make you pay much more than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance preserves both your assets and your car. It will also cover medical bills for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability coverage will also pay to defend you if you cause an accident and are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially when you need to use it. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is overpaying more than $865 each year so it's very important to do a rate comparison at every policy renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Don't give up on affordable rates
We just covered a lot of techniques to compare Dodge Dakota insurance auto insurance rates in Colorado Springs. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the biggest savings come from a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising. Smaller companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm and Allstate.
When buying insurance coverage, never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are a lot of situations where someone dropped collision coverage to discover at claim time they didn't have enough coverage. Your aim should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price and still be able to protect your assets.
Lower-priced Dodge Dakota insurance in Colorado Springs is available both online in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies may not offer price quotes online and usually these small insurance companies work with independent agencies.
To read more, feel free to browse the following helpful articles: