It’s an obvious assumption that car insurance companies want to keep you from comparing prices. Insureds who compare other prices will most likely buy a new policy because there are good odds of finding a lower-priced policy. A recent insurance study revealed that people who compared rates annually saved about $3,400 over four years as compared to drivers who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding the lowest price on car insurance is the reason you’re reading this, then learning a little about how to quote and compare auto insurance can help you succeed in saving money.
If you want to save money, the best way to find cheaper car insurance rates in Colorado Springs is to do an annual price comparison from providers who provide auto insurance in Colorado. You can shop around by following these steps.
- Step 1: Try to learn a little about how insurance companies determine prices and the steps you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that drive up the price like accidents, traffic tickets, and a less-than-favorable credit history can be rectified by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Step 2: Compare prices from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide rate quotes from multiple insurance companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rates to your current policy and see if you can save money. If you can save money, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Step 4: Provide proper notification to your current company of your decision to cancel your current coverage. Submit the completed application along with a down payment to the newly selected company. Once received, store the certificate of insurance in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
One thing to remember is to compare similar limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to get rate quotes from as many companies as you can. Doing this provides an apples-to-apples comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
How to Lower Your Insurance Premiums
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that come into play when calculating the level of your policy premiums. When consumers understand what determines premiums, this allows you to make good choices that can earn you lower premium levels. Lots of factors are part of the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Most are fairly basic such as traffic violations, but other criteria are more obscure like your vehicle usage or how safe your car is.
- No policy gaps is important – Driving any period of time without insurance is a big no-no and as a result your rates will increase for letting your coverage have a gap. And not only will insurance be more expensive, not being able to provide proof of insurance could result in a steep fine or even jail time. You may need to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Colorado DMV.
- Performance impacts insurance rates – The performance of the vehicle you are buying insurance for makes a significant difference in your auto insurance rates. The cheapest rates will normally be found when insuring lower cost passenger cars, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
- Too many insurance claims and you’ll pay more – If you’re an insured who likes to file claims you can pretty much guarantee increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Auto insurance companies in Colorado provide cheaper rates to policyholders who are not frequent claim filers. Your car insurance is designed for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
- Do you need those extra coverages? – Insurance companies have many additional coverages that you can buy if you aren’t diligent. Add-on coverages like vanishing deductibles, towing coverage, and additional equipment coverage are some examples. They may seem like a good idea when deciding what coverages you need, but your needs may have changed so get rid of them and save.
- Vehicles with better crash test results cost less to insure – Vehicles with high crash test scores get lower rates. Safer cars help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and reduced instances of injuries translates into savings for insurance companies and lower rates for you.
- Excellent credit means lower rates – An insured’s credit score factor in determining what you pay for car insurance. Therefore, if your credit leaves room for improvement, you could be paying less to insure your Land Rover Discovery if you clean up your credit. People with high credit ratings tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers who have lower credit scores.
- Do thieves like your car? – Choosing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention features such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system can thwart vehicle theft.
- Liability coverage is cheap – The liability coverage on your policy is the protection if you are found to be at fault for physical damage or personal injury to other. Liability insurance provides legal defense to defend your case. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to other policy coverages, so do not cut corners here.
The companies shown below offer free rate quotes in Colorado. To locate the best cheap car insurance in Colorado, it’s highly recommended you compare several of them to get the most affordable price.
Best reasons to buy insurance in Colorado
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Colorado Springs, insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability protection in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Land Rover Discovery with a loan, more than likely the lender will require you to carry insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank will be required to insure your Land Rover for a lot more money and force you to reimburse them a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects your Land Rover Discovery and your assets. It will also provide coverage for medical expenses that are the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially when you need to use it. An average driver in America is wasting up to $865 each year so we recommend shopping around each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Don’t overlook these Land Rover Discovery insurance discounts
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but you might be missing out on some discounts to cut the cost considerably. Some of these discounts will be visible at the time of quoting, but less common discounts must be specifically requested before you will receive the discount.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Adding a new car to your policy can cost up to 25% less since new vehicles are generally safer.
- Theft Deterrent System – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles help deter theft and will save you 10% or more on Discovery insurance in Colorado Springs.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking part in a course in defensive driver could cut 5% off your bill if you qualify.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Having more than one vehicle with one company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- No Claim Discounts – Insureds with no claims or accidents are rewarded with significantly better rates on Colorado Springs car insurance quote when compared to drivers who are more careless.
As is typical with insurance, most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. Even though it may seem like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies don’t profit that way.
To see a list of providers with discount rates in Colorado, click this link.
You may need advice from a local insurance agent
Many drivers still like to sit down and talk to an agent and that can be a great decision Experienced insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and help you file claims. One of the benefits of comparing rate quotes online is you may find cheap car insurance rates but also keep your business local.
Upon completion of this simple form, your information is submitted to participating agents in Colorado Springs that can give you free Colorado Springs car insurance quotes for your business. You don’t have to contact any insurance agencies because prices are sent immediately to your email address. If you need to get a price quote for a specific company, feel free to jump over to their website and submit a quote form there.
Picking an insurance company requires you to look at more than just the price. The following questions are important to ask.
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
How to choose the best car insurance agent in Colorado Springs
If you’re trying to find a reliable insurance agency, you need to know there are two types of insurance agents and how they work. Agencies in Colorado Springs are considered either independent or exclusive. Both can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s worth mentioning the difference in how they write coverage because it can influence your agent selection.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive generally can only insure with one company such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Exclusive agencies are unable to provide other company’s prices so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. These agents are well schooled in insurance sales which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Drivers often purchase coverage from exclusives partially due to loyalty to the company and strong financial ratings.
The following is a short list of exclusive agencies in Colorado Springs that can give you price quotes.
- Farmers Insurance – Mark Olsen
1870 Dublin Blvd e – Colorado Springs, CO 80918 – (719) 593-9916 – View Map
- Spencer Galloway – State Farm Insurance Agent
3918 Academy Blvd N – Colorado Springs, CO 80917 – (719) 632-3700 – View Map
- J.R. Rodney State Farm®
1825 Main St #D – Colorado Springs, CO 80911 – (719) 392-7366 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
These agents are not employed by any specific company so as a result can place your coverage with many different companies and find you cheaper rates. If premiums increase, your policy is moved internally which makes it simple for you.
When shopping rates, we recommend you include rate quotes from a few independent agents to get the best comparison. They often place coverage with different regional companies which can save you money.
Below are Colorado Springs independent agencies who can help you get price quote information.
- ALINK Insurance Services- Colorado Springs Location
2407 W Colorado Ave – Colorado Springs, CO 80904 – (719) 473-6262 – View Map
- Insurance Stops
2105 E Bijou St A – Colorado Springs, CO 80909 – (719) 636-3369 – View Map
- CIA-Leavitt Insurance Agency
5585 Erindale Dr #107 – Colorado Springs, CO 80918 – (719) 528-1884 – View Map
Quote often and quote early
Some companies may not provide internet price quotes and many times these small, regional companies only sell coverage through independent agents. Budget-friendly insurance in Colorado Springs is available from both online companies and from local agencies, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from.
Consumers who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including lack of trust in their agent, high rates after DUI convictions, delays in responding to claim requests or even poor customer service. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a new company can be less work than you think.
You just learned a lot of information how to shop for Land Rover Discovery insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even discover the biggest savings come from the least-expected company.
More tips and info about insurance is available in the articles below:
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Colorado Springs Auto Insurance for Nurses? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Colorado Springs Auto Insurance for Welfare Recipients? (FAQ)
- Collision Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)