If you want to save the most money, the best way to get the cheapest car insurance rates is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from companies in Colorado Springs.
- Read and learn about what is in your policy and the changes you can make to keep rates down. Many rating factors that result in higher prices like traffic citations and a less-than-favorable credit score can be amended by making minor changes in your lifestyle. Keep reading for information to help reduce premium rates and find more discounts that you may not know about.
- Request price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can only quote rates from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agents can provide price quotes for many different companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to the premium of your current policy and determine if cheaper SS coverage is available in Colorado Springs. If you find better rates and make a switch, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Give notification to your current company to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a signed application and payment to the newly selected company. Once received, place your new certificate verifying coverage with the vehicle registration.
The key thing to know about shopping around is that you use identical deductibles and limits on every price quote and and to look at as many companies as possible. This guarantees the most accurate price comparison and a thorough price selection.
Unbelievable but true according to a study the vast majority of consumers in Colorado kept buying from the same company for over three years, and almost 40% of drivers have never compared rate quotes at all. Consumers in the U.S. could save nearly $850 each year by just shopping around, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to compare rates.
Cheaper rates by applying these five discounts
Car insurance companies do not list their entire list of discounts very well, so the list below contains some of the best known and the more hidden discounts that may be available.
- College Student Discount - Older children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Multiple Cars - Purchasing coverage when you have more than one vehicle with the same insurance company can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Save over 55 - Mature drivers are able to get a slight reduction on a Colorado Springs car insurance quote.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings - Low mileage vehicles may allow you to get substantially lower rates.
- Government Employees - Federal government employees can save as much as 8% with a few insurance companies.
A little note about advertised discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. Just because you may think it's possible to get free car insurance, insurance companies aren't that generous. But all discounts will help reduce your policy cost.
A partial list of companies that may offer policyholders many of the previously listed discounts include:
Before purchasing a policy, check with all companies you are considering to give you their best rates. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not be offered on policies everywhere.
Buy Colorado Springs Chevy SS insurance online
Cutting your Colorado Springs insurance rates is pretty simple and can save money. All that's required is to invest a few minutes to get quotes provided by online insurance companies.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer free quotes in Colorado Springs, CO. To get cheaper car insurance in Colorado, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
When to get professional advice
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage, there isn't really a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Everyone's situation is a little different.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if your situation will benefit from professional help.
- How long can I keep a teen driver on my policy?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- When should I have rental car coverage?
- Does my policy cover me if I wreck while driving under the influence?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Should I file a claim if it's only slightly more than my deductible?
- Am I covered if I have no license?
- Does coverage follow the driver or the vehicle?
If you can't answer these questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It only takes a few minutes and you can get the answers you need.
Auto insurance agents near you
Some consumers just want to visit with an insurance agent. Professional agents can answer important questions and help submit paperwork. One of the great benefits of comparing car insurance online is that you can find the lowest rates and still choose a local agent. Buying from and supporting local agencies is still important in Colorado Springs.
Once you complete this simple form, your information is sent to companies in Colorado Springs who will give you bids to get your business. There is no reason to contact an agency since rate quotes are delivered to you directly. If for some reason you want to compare prices from a specific insurance company, just jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
If you want a local agent, it helps to know the two different agency structures and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Colorado Springs agents can either be exclusive agents or independent agents. Either type can handle car insurance, but it's worth learning how they differ because it can impact which agent you choose.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that choose to be independent often have many company appointments and that allows them to write policies through lots of different companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If your agent finds better pricing, the business is moved internally which requires no work on your part. If you need lower rates, you need to include rate quotes from several independent insurance agents to have the most options to choose from. Most also write with small mutual carriers that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Below is a list of independent insurance agents in Colorado Springs who can help you get free car insurance rate quotes.
- Southern Colorado Insurance Center
4390 Academy Blvd N - Colorado Springs, CO 80918 - (719) 329-4441 - View Map
- Solid Rock Insurance Agency
2850 Serendipity Cir W #230 - Colorado Springs, CO 80917 - (719) 574-0082 - View Map
- Pikes Peak Insurance Agency
2306 N Powers Blvd #120 - Colorado Springs, CO 80915 - (719) 591-4500 - View Map
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Exclusive agencies are contracted to one company and examples are American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. These agents are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agents are usually well trained on the products they sell and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Drivers often buy insurance from these agents mostly because of the brand legacy instead of buying on price only.
Listed below are exclusive insurance agents in Colorado Springs willing to provide price quote information.
- Larry Lucero - State Farm Insurance Agent
5225 Academy Blvd N #108 - Colorado Springs, CO 80918 - (719) 599-8661 - View Map
- Carlos Gonzalez, Jr. - State Farm Insurance Agent
1710 S Circle Dr - Colorado Springs, CO 80910 - (719) 900-7431 - View Map
- American Family Insurance - Steve Stiltner
4549 Austin Bluffs Pkwy - Colorado Springs, CO 80918 - (719) 596-8812 - View Map
Finding the right auto insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a cheap quote. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Colorado?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
After receiving good responses for all questions you ask as well as cheap SS insurance quotes, it's a good possibility that you have found an insurance agent that will insure your vehicles.
Insurance protects more than just your car
Despite the high cost, insurance is required for several reasons.
- Almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability insurance coverage in order to license the vehicle. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, it's most likely the lender will stipulate that you have full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may buy a policy for your Chevy for a lot more money and require you to fork over the higher premium.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your vehicle. Insurance will also pay for hospital and medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially for larger claims. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is wasting up to $820 a year so it's important to compare rates every year to make sure the price is not too high.
Car insurance coverages for a Chevy SS
Learning about specific coverages of your policy can be of help when determining which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. The coverage terms in a policy can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
This protects you and your vehicle's occupants when other motorists either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered claims include injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your Chevy SS.
Since many Colorado drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (25/50/15), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage is a good idea. Usually these limits are set the same as your liability limits.
This will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first must pay your deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like damage from flooding, fire damage, rock chips in glass, vandalism and hitting a bird. The highest amount a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle's value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Coverage for medical payments
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP reimburse you for short-term medical expenses such as ambulance fees, hospital visits, dental work, doctor visits and nursing services. They can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants as well as getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
Liability car insurance
Liability coverage provides protection from damage that occurs to other's property or people in an accident. This insurance protects YOU against other people's claims, and doesn't cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see limits of 25/50/15 which means $25,000 in coverage for each person's injuries, $50,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $15,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Occasionally you may see one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which provides one coverage limit and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability insurance covers claims such as bail bonds, repair bills for other people's vehicles, medical expenses, medical services and pain and suffering. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but it's cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. Colorado state minimum liability requirements are 25/50/15 but you should consider buying better liability coverage.
The chart below demonstrates why buying low liability limits may not provide adequate coverage.
Collision coverage protection
Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your SS caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision can pay for things such as rolling your car, crashing into a ditch, damaging your car on a curb, hitting a mailbox and colliding with another moving vehicle. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. You can also choose a higher deductible on your SS to bring the cost down.
Cheaper auto insurance rates are out there
Low-cost Chevy SS insurance in Colorado Springs is available from both online companies as well as from insurance agents, so get free Colorado Springs car insurance quotes from both of them to have the best rate selection. There are still a few companies who do not offer rate quotes online and these smaller companies only sell through local independent agencies.
Consumers who switch companies do it for many reasons like not issuing a premium refund, policy cancellation, questionable increases in premium and even poor customer service. No matter why you want to switch, finding a new company is actually quite simple.
As you shop your coverage around, it's not a good idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. Too many times, someone sacrificed physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim they didn't have enough coverage. The ultimate goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
To learn more, feel free to visit these articles:
- Automakers compete to add autobraking (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for 4x4 Vehicles in Colorado Springs? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Colorado Springs Car Insurance Rates for Good Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for a Chevrolet Traverse in Colorado Springs? (FAQ)
- How Much are Colorado Springs Auto Insurance Quotes for a Honda Accord? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a DUI in Colorado Springs? (FAQ)
- Vehicle Insurance in the U.S. (Wikipedia)
- Booster Seat Ratings (iihs.org)
- Rental Car Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)